Thursday, October 09, 2008

God Shares the Sweetness of Heaven


Today, while teaching my 3 younger daughters from the Biblical Holidays about Yom Kippur, we discussed how Christ, the Messiah did more than atone for our sins. When Christ shed His blood on the cross for our sins, He paid the price for us to enter heav
en. In other words, Christ washed our sins "white as snow".

What does that mean for us entering heaven? Well, just like I sho
wed my girls today, using the chocolate zucchini cake I had made, I will share with you. I showed them the cake and told them that I had made the cake all by myself (which I really did). I said, "What if I said to you that since I made this cake all by myself, I don't have to share this cake? I can just eat it all myself. Wouldn't that be selfish?" I continued, "God created this earth and heaven all by Himself. What if he said that to us regarding heaven? What if He said that since He made it Himself without any help, that He wouldn't share heaven with us?" Instead, God tells us that God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believes in Him will have everlasting life.

Then I served up pieces of the cake to my girls to which I asked, "Did you do anything to earn this cake?" They answered, "No". "Well", I continued, "Neither did we do anything to earn the gift of heaven. All we have to do is ask Jesus Christ into our hearts and to be our savior/Lord over our lives". That's all it takes to enter the kingdom of heaven. We don't do anything to earn it. So, God is willing to share all of heaven with us even though we didn't help create it, just like this cake".

It was such an impromptu event that took place this afternoon with my children, and made for a wonderful visual for them to understand.

So, with Christ, no more "atonement", because we have been redeemed by the ultimate sacrifice - the blood of the "Lamb" - of Christ.

Many Blessings on Yom Kippur and remember who carries our sins today.


2 comments:

Jan Parrish said...

I love those beautiful, teachable moments. Great job!

Jan Parrish said...

Congratulations! You have won the Lovely Lady award on my blog. Please stop by to pick it up!