Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Seed Not Sown

Last week, my parents shared with me and my family in our Sunday church time about Isaiah 55:10 which says "For as the rain and snow come down from the heavens, and return not there again, but water the earth and make it bring forth and sprout, that it may give seed to the sower and bread to the eater". We have witnessed a physical manifestation in Colorado of this very scripture. They have seen people harvesting that which they did not sow all over the countryside SE of Denver. My parents have those very crops rising up on their 6 acres that they did not sow.

Now, David and I are experiencing that in a different way ourselves. We have been blessed to receive bunches and bunches of apples that we did not sow! My dear friend taught me to can these apples along with some peaches we bought together. We had a lot of fun, going through and processing all of this harvest. She also taught me not to be so squeamish when it comes to the blemishes on the apples. I have truly enjoyed this experience. Now, we have more apples than we know what to do with, because David's parents let us harvest their apple tree. Oh, my! The most beautiful apples I have ever hand picked. David said that they are red delicious apples. I am so excited to can these too. I have already canned Apple Butter and just plain apples and I have also frozen 1-1/2 gallons too. It is such a feeling of accomplishment, and David is enjoying watching me be so "domestic".

There is more, though, to that scripture. If you look at the following verse, (v. 11) it says "
So shall My word be that goes forth out of My mouth: it shall not return to Me void [without producing any effect, useless], but it shall accomplish that which I please and purpose, and it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it." God is actually telling us that His Word is just like that rain that comes down and brings forth and sprouts. So, if we would like to continue having this blessing, we have to speak His Word. Also, the Word of God (as I was taught in Bible school) is as it says in John 1:1 Christ. "IN THE beginning [before all time] was the Word (Christ), and the Word was with God, and the Word was God Himself." So every time we speak the Word of God, we are releasing Christ's power. It's like having the Holy Grail and there being enough to share with anyone who will drink.

1 comment:

tonya said...

JoAnn,
I heard this once, anyone can count the seeds in the apple, but on God knows how many apples are in a seed. I love God's math!