Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Sugaring Time

Today, my children learned about the time of year for sugaring (Spring). While now is not that time of year, what a journey to read about how other people harvest the maple that we eat. I used to think that maple syrup was more expensive because it was a healthier choice over Aunt Jemimah, but I didn't realize until today the work that goes into making the syrup. Wow! For the kids and I to discover that 40 gallons of maple sap is boiled down to make 1 or 2 gallons of syrup. Now, we know the real reason that maple syrup can be expensive. With that in mind, I will be more thankful of the syrup we put on our pancakes, oatmeal, waffles and Thanksgiving's pumpkin spice bread.

I will take the time to reflect and remember the hard work and diligence that goes into producing such a delicious sweet. Tonight for dinner, we are having Hasty Pudding just like Laura Ingalls Wilder had and I will serve with it...real maple syrup. This will be a new experience for all of us. : )

1 comment:

Paula said...

JoAnn,
Popped in here because your were mentioned on Tonya's blog. I was SO blessed by the story of your daughter a couple of posts down. Thank you for sharing this story. I cried while I read it, told my husband about it and cried again. LOL

May God bless you on your homeschooling journey. Your dolls are precious. I'm had some ups and downs starting with homeschooling this year, but over all I'm believing it will be a good year. Last year was quite difficult on most fronts, including homeschooling, but we've made some changes in our schooling approach that I think will make a difference for us.

God bless!