Thursday, September 13, 2007

Self Rejection is a Sin

Did you know that comparing ourselves to others is a sin? And that this root sin unrepented will cause other sins to grow? I didn't realize that my self criticism was such an offense to God until reading today's school lesson to the children today. Okay, so I knew it, but I had gotten more caught up in my self judgments than in what God says about it. I used to have the perfect frame with a 24" waist and weighing at 105 lbs and 5'5" tall. Even after I had my first child, I was down to 115 lbs. within 3 months. It was easy to stay thin, my friends always asked me how I could eat so much and stay so thin. It was something I prided myself on.

Now, after 4 children, I find myself struggling to lose even 1 pound. It was so easy before, and now it is so easy to be upset at myself for weighing more and not losing. The more I beat myself up, the less focus I give God. Why? Because my focus is on the pot and not the potter. That was one of the scriptures we studied today:
Isaiah 45:9 says "Woe to him who strives with his Maker!--a worthless piece of broken pottery among other pieces equally worthless [and yet presuming to strive with his Maker]! Shall the clay say to him who fashions it, What do you think you are making? or, Your work has no handles?". Ouch! Am I doing that? Well, I had to tell the children (and myself) that comparing yourself to others is a sin and that we are to love ourselves. It's not just a sin, but our study today said that it is a root sin that can cause other sins to grow as a result. Comparing ourselves to others creates a bitterness to spring up that is terribly unhealthy and a poor example to those around us.

What a lesson. Keep this in mind as you go about your life and catch yourself when you are not happy with your figure, your mental capacity, hair color, etc. Make sure you replace that self hatred with self love. Because you have to love yourself before you can love your neighbor. : )

2 comments:

Kayla Barker said...

Very good post! Thanks for sharing. You have been busy with your blog. I am adding it to my Google Reader so I won't miss any of your new posts!

Jan Parrish said...

You make an excellent point JoAnn. Thanks for sharing.